Useless information, useful information, what's on my mind, and recipes that fall from the sky. For some reason the LINKS aren't underlined but they're there.

December 30, 2003

So I made this one thing and combined it with this other thing...

Texas chili, yum. northern chili, yum too. So I combined them and got something like Colorado chili.

I used medium heat on an electric stove. 1/4 lb good bacon, chopped and fried in pan until brown...Or whatever, I like to put a bite size piece in late so I can have it chewy....Yummy. After that, two medium yellow and one large white onion diced plus somewhere around 6 cloves of garlic until onions are really soft and translucent. I used really lean beef cut into approx. 1-1.5 inch cubes, doesn't really matter as long as people can eat them right? Brown on all sides.. keep it moving so nothing gets steamed. And I don't mean angry. After meat is browned I added around 1.5 cups dry red wine. I used Fonterutolli Badiola cause I really like it and there was a sale for 9.99USD such a deal! After deglazing 4T chili powder, 2T tobasco, 2T Cayenne pepper, and some Japanese chilies I had sitting around. Next time I would use arbol, chipoltes, or something else...I just happened to have the japanese chilis dried and already coarse ground. After getting that really hot I added about 3.5 cups water and simmered covered for 20 minutes. This actually decreased the cooking time from two hours to around 45 minutes. Then I added one can of red kidney beans, one can white kidney beans both drained and 1T beef demi glasse (try not to use bouillion because of the salt) removed the lid and simmered for ten minutes more. Oops forgot the salt...Two T salt or to taste. Right at the end I used one whole can of tomato paste to thicken it up. Stir really well. I served it with garlic bread and garlic bread with mozzarella on it. The girl loved it, said she couldn't feel the heat at all but it was tasty. I felt her head and it was warm and the backs of her ears were kinda sweating but she "didn't feel the fire". Personally I was raised with hot food and I was feeling warm but it was really good...Kind like a "sniper hot" ya know. For lunch today we used the Campanelle pasta we really like to keep it from getting really sloppy while working with the kids. Man that stuff from Barilla is really great, good texture and holds a sauce like a sponge.
got more space at the school, but I had to do lots of cleaning to get it. Those damn mice leaving poop all over the place really bugs me. But now I actually have a place to keep stuff and actually know what we have. Been trying to pre-plan the art curriculum but it's hard for someone who usually lives day to day. Oh well, gotta learn something new every year I guess.

mostly leftovers this week, but I think that we'll get those fondue recipes up later...

just a thought, is a salsa con queso served over a flame just a Mexican fondue? Cause I served one of those the other day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home